Our vision and values are at the core of everything we do.
Our vision is to develop the talents and potential within each child by providing them with excellent learning opportunities and a solid foundation of academic and personal life-skills which they will need to become confident, happy citizens.
We will endeavour to support all areas of the children's development through our School Values. They underpin our teaching and learning, and provide a moral base on which to build the various curriculum requirements. We re-visit our school values in assemblies and ask parents to talk about them at home.
Tolerance Respect Integrity Confidence
Kindness Responsibility Positivity
Promoting British Values and Diversity
At Water Lane Primary Academy we believe in teaching our children about the fundamental British Values of:
- Rule of Law
- Individual Liberty
- Mutual Respect
- Tolerance of those of different faiths and beliefs
These values are actively promoted through collective worship, our school values and electing and running our school council. British Values are addressed in Personal, Social, Health Education (PSHE), through planning and the delivery of our broad and balanced curriculum. We promote and celebrate diversity in our school, through assemblies, our amazing new curriculum, and through PSHE.
British values are reinforced regularly in the following ways:
- Democracy is richly embedded within our school. All children in our school have a voice through the School Council and pupil surveys .The election of School Council Representatives for each class (Years 3-6) are based on pupil votes.
- Pupils voted for our School ‘House’ theme – ‘The Elements’
- Our school behaviour policy which involves rewards and sanctions runs through all aspects of school life and is shared with parents and carers.
The Rule of Law
- The importance of laws, whether they be those that govern the class, school, or the country are constantly reinforced.
- All children follow the school values which form the basis of behaviour expectations. These are reinforced regularly throughout the day. Children are taught the value and reasons behind rules and laws, that they govern and protect us, the responsibilities that this involves and the consequences when laws are broken. Visits from authority, eg fire service help reinforce this message.
- To encourage and promote good behaviour, attitude and work we have a whole school house point reward system. Children are awarded house points for demonstrating expected behaviour at any point during the school day. We are also committed to praising children’s efforts (behaviour, achievement and general) through verbal praise and head teacher awards during our Friday celebration assembly.
- Children are actively encouraged to make choices at our school, knowing that they are in a safe and supportive environment.
- Children are encouraged to know, understand and exercise their rights and personal freedoms and are advised how to exercise these safely, for example through our e-safety lessons.
- Children are given the freedom to make choices, e.g. signing up for extra-curricular clubs
- Mutual respect is at the heart of our values. Children learn that their behaviour has an effect on their own rights and those of others.
- All members of our school community treat each other with respect.
- Respect is School Value and links with all other values.
Tolerance of those of different faiths and beliefs and understanding diversity
- Water Lane Academy is situated in an area which is not very culturally diverse, therefore we place a great emphasis on promoting diversity with the children.
- Assemblies are planned to promote diversity either directly or through the inclusion of stories and celebrations from a variety of faiths, cultures, backgrounds, beliefs and home life.
- RE and PSHE teaching reinforces tolerance of different faiths and beliefs.
- Members of different faiths. religions, backgrounds and beliefs are encouraged to share their knowledge to enhance learning within classes and the school